Essential Funerals

Humanist Funerals Scotland

Who to notify

Calling strangers such as employers and banks to notify them of the death can be difficult. If you are informing people of the funeral details, it may help to have a note of the funeral details next to the phone so anyone can answer and give this information.

Who needs to be notified of the death?

  • Financial accounts. Banks, building societies, the Post Office, Credit Unions and Premium Bonds.
  • Regular payments. Insurance policies, rental or HR agreements, standing orders, credit cards.
  • Utility & Home Services. Name changes for responsibility of electricity, gas, telephone, car, car insurance, house insurance, TV Licence, etc.
  • Employer & Tax. Notification of death will need to be sent to: employer, the Tax Office, the Passport Office, the Pension’s Departments, professional associations, local clubs and organisations, DVLA (driving licence), family doctor, child’s teacher (if a parent, brother or sister has died), D.S.S/DWP – for return of any appliances or cancellation of services, and hospital for cancellation of any appointments.

Stop unwanted mail

Contact the Deceased Preference Service to ensure the names of the deceased are removed from databases and mailing files. Find more information from the deceased preference service here.

Bereavement support

  • Bereavement Advice Centre, supports and advises people on what they need to do after a death.
  • Way Foundation (Widowed And Young), provides a self help network across the UK to those who are bereaved through losing their partner/spouse when aged 50 or under, together with their children.
  • Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide is a self help organisation which exists to meet the needs of those bereaved by the¬†suicide of a family member or anyone close to them.
  • Cruse Bereavement Care exists to promote the well-being of bereaved people and to help those who have suffered the death of a friend or family member to understand their grief and cope with their loss.